Moore Park was subdivided in 1889 as an exclusive Toronto suburb for the very wealthy. Its namesake and creator was a gentleman by the name of John Thomas Moore.
Moore was instrumental in building the Belt Line Railway, Toronto's first commuter train. He personally oversaw the construction of the Belt Line's showpiece station at Moore Park.
Moore leveraged all his money on the Belt Line, predicting it would bring many buyers to his Moore Park subdivision. However, shortly after the Belt Line opened Toronto suffered through a horrible Depression and the Belt Line went bankrupt.
This setback postponed the building of homes in Moore Park until the early 1900's. By the 1930's, Moore Park was completely developed.
Moore Park is surrounded on all sides by natural barriers. To the north is the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, to the south is the Park Drive Ravine and the railway tracks, to the east is the Moore Park Ravine and to the west is the Vale of Avoca Ravine.
With so much nature at its doorstep, it is not surprising that Moore Park is one of Toronto's most sought after neighbourhoods.
Moore Park includes primarily English Cottage, Georgian, and Tudor-style houses built between 1908 and 1930.
Moore Park lots are generally quite large, and many of the houses back on to one of the ravines that skirt this neighbourhood.
Moore Park also contains many newer townhouses as well as a fair number of duplex and multi-plex homes.
For such a high end neighbourhood it is somewhat surprising that many of the houses have shared rather than private driveways. However, the streets are so quiet and uncluttered that parking is not a problem.
(P) Deer Park Jr. & Sr., 23 Ferndale Avenue, (416) 393-1550
(P) Whitney Jr., 119 Rosedale Heights Drive, (416) 393-9380
(CA) Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 1½ Garfield Avenue, (416) 393-5239
(PH) North Toronto Collegiate Institute, 70 Roehampton Avenue, (416) 393-9180
(PH) Northern Secondary, 851 Mount Pleasant Road, (416) 393-0270